Join us in creating representation for Nurse Practitioners across Alberta.
Nurse Practitioners are at a historic crossroads in Alberta. We have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for NPs in our province to truly represent ourselves and our unique profession.
The interest from NPs right across the province has been overwhelming. We are proud to have so many engaged Nurse Practitioners in Alberta who are willing to work towards independence and self-governance for NPs.
We know there will be challenges and hurdles along the way. Without a doubt, there will be other groups who will take steps and try to absorb our small community of NPs into a larger, less nimble and far less responsive entity. Groups, for example, who have in the past and recently even advocated that RNs should be paid more than NPs.
Our team would like to thank all of the Nurse Practitioners who supported us throughout our previous certification application process and who continue to offer your support, encouragement, and valuable input as we move forward with our new certification application. You have clearly shown us that a union of NPs representing NPs is the best option to ensure both a strong and enforceable bargaining agreement and effective ongoing lobbying and advocacy for the Nurse Practitioner profession as a whole.
To those Nurse Practitioners who may not be supportive of AUNP at this time, we value your voice, opinions, and input, and we would welcome the opportunity to connect with you. Your participation is valued when determining the future - both for the union and for all NPs.
Presently, AUNP is moving forward on a new path towards certification to become the bargaining agent for NPs at Alberta Health Services and Covenant Health. Here is a brief timeline outlining the next steps that AUNP plans to take:
STEP ONE: SPECIAL MEETING OF THE NPAAU BOARD OF DIRECTORS
When: September 9, 2021
The Board will hear from NPs, discuss, and decide on proposed amendments to the AUNP Constitution, including:
- Changing the name of the union
- Giving members the ability to hold Special Meetings of the Members
- Clarifying how members will vote on job actions and collective agreements
- Creating new non-voting membership options (Associate and Student)
STEP TWO: ELECTRONIC PETITION
September 10 – October 10, 2021
AUNP will send an electronic petition to NPs employed at Alberta Health Services and at Covenant Health, gathering support for AUNP to be certified as the bargaining agent for NPs at each employer
- No payment is required to sign the petition
- The petition will be signed electronically
- The petition is open to existing AUNP members and non-members
- The petition is separate from membership in the union (signing the petition does not make you a member, although the AUNP continues to welcome new members and online membership applications, please click here to reach out)
- The petition will need the signature of NPs representing at least 40% of the bargaining unit in order for the ALRB to process the certification application
- The petition will show NP support to the ALRB more strongly and clearly than the previous method using membership applications
STEP THREE: REVIEW PETITION SIGNATURES
October 11 – October 20, 2021
AUNP will review the certification petitions for Alberta Health Services and Covenant Health to determine if the 40% support threshold has been met for each
- With the minimum 40% support confirmed, AUNP will prepare to submit its applications for certification to the ALRB
- October 20, 2021 is the earliest date that AUNP can submit its applications for certification to the ALRB
STEP FOUR: CERTIFICATION APPLICATION
October 20, 2021
AUNP will submit its applications for certification to the ALRB
- For each application, an ALRB Officer will confirm the 40% support and issue a report
- For each employer, the ALRB will order a representation vote of all NPs within each employer
- If there are any objections to either application, the ALRB will determine if a hearing is required to resolve them
If you have any questions, or would like to set up a meeting with someone from the board, please reach out and contact us today.